The key messages are:
- Ensures a broad and balanced learning experience for our pupils;
- Secures essential English and Maths skills and provides a focus on the core subjects;
- Reflects increased expectations of children’s ICT capability;
- Meets the needs of our learners and promotes good progress for all our children;
- Provides appropriate challenge for all;
- Ensures well-being for our pupils, alongside academic achievement.
The key messages are achieved through:
- Developing a range of teaching and learning approaches; including enquiry, active learning, practical situations, all of which are developed in collaboration with the children and provide opportunities to learn through a range of audiences and purposes.
- Providing stimulating and exciting learning environments, which reflect the topics and learning experiences.
The curriculum offers memorable experiences for our pupils including residential visits, opportunities for high quality learning, is customised to the changing needs of our children, and promotes excellent outcomes, both academically and in terms of their emotional health and well –being.
We use the Cornerstones Curriculum which covers the foundation subjects of History, Geography, Science, music , P.E. , DT and PSHE. The curriculum offers exciting themes for study for each year group throughout the year on a two year cycle. We base our work on such themes as ” Darwin’s Delight,” “Dinosaur Planet,” “Towers, Tunnels and Turrets,” “Why Can’t I Have Chocolate for Breakfast?” and “Tremors.”
We encourage visits and visitors into school to enhance learning opportunities and plan for real life relevant experiences. Parental support is encouraged throughout the thematic work and parents can often visit school to share their skills with the children.
To find out more details about how the creative curriculum is taught alongside Maths and English please click here.