Sport Premium is an amount of money which the government has currently agreed to allocate to schools. The funding amount received by schools is based upon the number of children of primary age at the school. The Sport Premium must be used to increase the quality & breadth of PE & Sport provision, and increase participation in PE & Sport.
At Keelham Primary School, Mrs. Croft is the P.E. and Sport Leader with a shared responsibility for developing sport and effective use of Sport Premium Funding together with our senior leadership team. Our school already has a good reputation for our Sport and P.E. as we strive to promote healthy and active lifestyles and aim to provide sporting opportunities for all our pupils. We welcome the additional funding, which will further enhance our provision and provide additional opportunities for increased participation.
Annually the Sport Premium funding for our school is approximately £8444
The money is being used for:
1) Investing in the Youth Sports Development which provides the school with the following:
- Weekly training in team sports to prepare children for formal competitions.
- Help to participate in a programme of competitions/tournaments/festivals in addition to the West Bradford School Games Network.
- Participation, inclusion and excellent opportunities in a wider variety of sports within school and in competitions.
- CPD (staff training) for curriculum P.E.
- Promotion and development of links to local sports clubs.
- Weekly curriculum work in PE with class teachers incorporating PE schemes of work for the new national curriculum ensuring clear progression of skills throughout the year groups.
2) Purchase of specialist sport equipment.
3) Course attendance and Subject Leader training for Mrs Croft.
4) Opportunities for children to participate in (KS1 non-residential, KS2 residential) outdoor and adventurous activities (part funded).
5) After school specialist sports clubs including Dance, gymnastics and outdoor learning, martial arts, football and multi skills.
6) Providing appropriate PE storage that is accessible and weatherproof. (As a small school we have very limited suitable storage space).
7) Lunch time sports training for all children,with specialists coaches to encourage team games and skills.
Evidence of Impact:The impact of Sport Premium Funding is extremely positive and the funding has already impacted our school in the following ways:
- Increased attendance at after school sport clubs (all sports clubs 100% full with waiting list)
- Higher levels of pupil interest and enjoyment in sport and sport-related activities.
- Improved Skill levels with teachers clearly focussed on developing sporting skills within each lesson and across a course of lessons
- teachers now after third year are skilled to deliver their own sports and gymnastics lessons.
- Progression of skills much more in evidence across the Key stages.
- Higher numbers of pupils participating in inter-school competitive events including hockey, football, cross-country running and cricket.
- Increased engagement of staff in our school’s P.E. and Sport initiative.
- Improved behaviour, participation and co-operation of pupils at lunch time.
- Inclusion in sports of children reluctant to participate initially in such events
In 2016 school has also funded a new multi usage games area, which provides a suitable all weather surface for safe P. E. and sports events and practice.
School has as a result of the above actions continued to participate fully in out of school competitions. Successes have included;
All teams of footballers (Under 11s under 9s and girls under 11) reaching the finals of all their competitions.
Success in cross country events in key stage 2 within the local district of schools.
School has a busy timetable of sports events in the spring and summer term of 2016.
A recent past pupil has also been selected for the Team GB squad for gymnastics.
School runs its own very popular annual sports day and this is organised and facilitated by our outgoing year 6 pupils.
In addition school uses National events such as Sports Relief and Water Aid to promote healthy living and lifestyles.
As a further results of the above actions school now holds the Sainsbury’s Sports Award Silver Level. For such a small school this is an excellent achievement.